SOUTHEAST SEATTLE – Last Sunday, hundreds of Southeast Seattle neighbors came together to clean up their community.
The 4th Annual Bridge2Beach Clean-Up was held on Earth Day, with more than 30 groups and 400 individuals participating.
“Amazing transformation happened all over the Valley,” said Rainier Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Susan Davis. “Weeding, landscaping, litter pick-up and graffiti paint outs by caring residents and business owners across Southeast Seattle.”
Seattle Police and Seattle Fire Departments also got involved pulling weeds and reaching out to volunteer groups.
With so many successful clean team projects, it was hard for the judges to decide the top 11 winners. All participating teams will receive a Tutta Bella gift certificate and award winners get an additional prize from Full Tilt Ice Cream.
2012 Bridge2Beach Clean-Up Winners:
- Most Artistic Paint Out – Vietnamese Friendship Association & Seattle University Vietnamese Student Association
- Best Down in the Dirt weeding/planting – Rainier Beach Community Club
- Greenest Thumb – Othello Park Alliance, MLK Business Association, African Eagles, The Station @ Othello
- Clean Slate Garbage Pickup – Communities Uniting Rainier Beach (CURB)
- Best Traffic Circle Beautification – Brendon Works & Friends
- Junior Conservationists – Graham Hill PTA
- Best Community Spirit – Emerald City Bible Fellowship
- Largest Volunteer Turnout – Rainier Avenue Church
- Most Enthusiastic Group – The Great Green Room
- Most Innovative Project – Brandon Triangle Community Garden
- Best Beautification Collaboration – Salon Adidez & Sound Steps
The event was organized by the Department of Neighborhoods – City of Seattle, HomeSight, Rainier Chamber of Commerce, Seattle Neighborhood Group and Seattle Public Utilities.
Food donations for the work crews were provided by Pepsi, Tutta Bella’s, Safeway, QFC, Starbuck’s and Seattle Neighborhood Group.