Level 3 sex offenders pose the highest risk to re-offend.
According to police, the Community Notification Act of 1990 requires sex offenders to register in the community where they live. The law also allows local law enforcement to make the public aware about Level 2 and Level 3 offenders.
“Since these offenders have completed their sentences, they are free to live where they wish” said SPD Crime Prevention Coordinator Mark Solomon in an email to the community. “Experts believe sex offenders are less likely to re-offend if they live and work in an environment free of harassment.”
He added that it’s against the law to use this information in any way to threaten, intimidate or harass registered sex offenders and that any actions taken against the listed sex offenders could result in arrest and prosecution as.
“It is normal to feel upset, angry and worried about a registered sex offender living in your community,” he said. “The SPD Sex offender detectives will check on these offenders every three months to verify our information.”
He also said that the single most effective means of protecting your child is communication with your child.
“They have to feel comfortable discussing sensitive matters with you,” he wrote. “It is not good enough to tell a child to avoid strangers. Please remember that children are most often molested by someone they or their parents know.”
The following Level 3 sex offenders have recently moved into several South-End neighborhoods:
- Aaron Ashby, 24-year old African American male, 3500 block of S. Hudson St., Columbia City
- Otumfoe Carpenter, 37-year old African American male, 7500 block of 43rd Ave. S., Othello
- Malik Calhoun, 20-year old African American male, 1300 block of 15th Ave. S., Beacon Hill
- Michael L. Johnson, 35-year old African American male, 1400 block of S. Columbian Way, Beacon Hill
- Victor Newman, 48-year old White male, 4800 block of S. Austin St., Othello
To learn more about these offenders, go here and search their names. You can also contact Michelle McRae of the Seattle Police Sex Offender Detail (684-5581 email@example.com).